Mission & Objectives
The mission of the General Directorate of Agricultural Research (GDAR) of ELGO-DIMITRA is to address the challenges and the development of the country's agri-food sector through applied agricultural research.
The core of the mission of its 11 research institutes is technological development, the creation and promotion of innovation and the dissemination of knowledge through advisory services. At the same time, it is the country's largest conservator of genetic resources for agriculture and food.
At the same time, it is the country's largest conservator of genetic resources for agriculture and food. The strategic objectives of the General Directorate of Agricultural Research of ELGO-DIMITRA are:
- The development of the country's primary sector and the tackling of problems of agricultural production and economy, which is achieved by conducting multidisciplinary research with extroversion, highlighting new modern production methods, and creating innovation, through the design and implementation of targeted research and innovation programs by the research institutes in the fields of agriculture, food and environment.
- The protection, conservation and utilization of Greek plant and animal genetic resources.
- To provide high quality scientific support and services to the agricultural sector, through their research units and laboratories.
- The dissemination of the knowledge produced in the agricultural sector and the findings of agricultural research to all those involved in the country's agri-food sector.
- To increase the competitiveness of Greek agricultural products by ensuring their quality, differentiation, and protection of their identity.
Institutes all over Greece
National collections of plant genetic resources