- General information
The Institute of Industrial & Forage Crops (IIFC) is one of the 11 Institutes of the General Directorate of Agricultural Research of ELGO-DIMITRA. It was founded in 1933 in Larissa and includes five research departments in Larissa, Volos, Patras and Karditsa.
The IIFC conducts research in the following research areas:
- Plant genetic improvement focusing on the creation of new varieties of plant species for livestock and/or industrial use for high yield, quality, broad or specific adaptability to different soil and climatic and changing environmental conditions, the optimization or development of innovative methodologies for field improvement assisted by new technologies of high genotypic or phenotypic accuracy, the investigation of genetic mechanisms and interactions at the molecular level, the conservation, characterization and evaluation of genetic material
- Seed production of improved varieties.
- Physiology and cultivation technique
- Sustainable farming systems
- Precision agriculture
- Rational management of factors of production
- Molecular biology and genetics
- Soil science, soil fertility, quality and protection of soil and water resources. Plant nutrition, fertility studies and restoration of degraded soils and waters, waste management, rational management of digital information and GIS and remote sensing are key objectives for generating new knowledge and innovative applications.
- Technology and quality of cotton.
- Plant protection focusing on the epidemiological study of endemic viruses, the development of plant protection methods against pathogenic viruses and fungi to control their spread, the identification and study of new species or strains of insect-pathogenic fungi, methodology to produce immune propagating material and the integrated management of pests (insects, mites, diseases, weeds) with innovative methods to avoid resistance to plant protection products.
IPSW has specific research and service structures. In particular:
- The National Quality Control Center, Classification and Standardization of Cotton, following the latest methodology according to international standards.
- An accredited laboratory for soil, plant tissue and water analysis operates at the IPSW.
The IIFC maintains collections of genetic material and certified propagating material of industrial and forage plant varieties maintained by the Institute in the National Catalogue.