- General information
The Veterinary Research Institute (VRI) is one of the 11 Institutes of the General Directorate of Agricultural Research of ELGO-DIMITRA. It was founded in 1997 in Thessaloniki.
It conducts research in the following research areas:
- Breeding and genetic improvement of productive livestock focusing on the study, handling and preservation of gametes and embryos, the investigation of breeding management schemes for farms and reproductive models of indigenous breeds, the study of infertility and mammary pathology, the investigation of selection schemes, genetic management and genetic improvement, the characterization and conservation of animal genetic resources.
- Animal health and welfare focusing on the epidemiological investigation of chronic animal diseases that negatively affect the productivity of livestock, the management of antimicrobial and antimicrobial resistance through innovative and alternative approaches, research on emerging and re-emerging diseases and the improvement of the health and welfare of productive animals.
- Protecting public health in the field of hygiene - food technology of animal origin by developing innovative functional foods of high added value and with specific indications as well as by investigating food-borne epidemics through the Integrated Health approach.
VRI has specialized research and service structures. In particular:
- Specialized microbiological and parasitological analyses on biological samples
- Production of vaccines and auto-vaccines
- Specialized genotyping analyses for scrapie
- Inseminator training