- General information
The Institute of Plant Breeding and Genetic Resources (IPGRB) is one of the 11 Institutes of the General Directorate of Agricultural Research of ELGO-DIMITRA, based in Thermi, Thessaloniki. It was founded in 1923 as the Institute of Plant Improvement. Research units also operate in Naoussa (Department of Deciduous Fruit Trees) and Vardates in Fthiotida (Department of Nut Trees), as well as with the Research and Development Centre for the Support of the Agri-food Sector (Drama).
IPGRB conducts research in the following research areas:
- Genetic improvement of plants (cereals, tobacco, cotton, hemp, horticultural, aromatic, floricultural, deciduous fruit trees, and nut trees) for high quality and nutritional value, but also for resistance to abiotic and biotic stresses.
- Conservation of plant genetic resources (native and cultivated), as well as plant breeding using biotechnological and classical methods.
- -Omics approaches
- Plant protection
- Utilization of renewable energy sources
- Technology and quality of plant species and plant products
- Sustainable farming systems
- Evaluation of products of plant origin for their nutritional value and bio functional properties for the development of high added value products and foods.
IPGRB has modern laboratories for genetic, molecular, and biochemical analyses, using state-of-the-art -omics approaches. It also has modern greenhouse facilities, hydroponic cultivation systems and indicators for the determination of greenhouse gas emissions in agriculture.
The following special research service structures operate at IPGRB:
- Greek Genebank
- Balkan Botanical Garden of Kroussia
- Laboratories of Genomics, Plant Genomics, Historical Cultivation and Biotechnology
- Laboratory for Technology and Analysis of Products of Plant Origin
- Laboratory for Industrial and Pharmaceutical Hemp
- Laboratory for Sustainable Agricultural Construction and Renewable Energy Resources
- Premises for the conservation and exploitation of native and flowering species
- Premises for quality control of aromatic/medicinal plant and tobacco products
- Premises for the conservation of propagating material registered in the National Catalogue