- General information
The Soil and Water Resources Institute (SWRI) is one of the 11 Institutes of the General Directorate of Agricultural Research of ELGO-DIMITRA, based in Thermi, Thessaloniki. SWRI was founded in 2014 after the merger of four research institutes (Thessaloniki Soil Science, Land Reclamation, Agricultural Machinery & Soil Engineering and Construction and Soil Science of Athens). Research units also operate in Sindos in Thessaloniki and in Athens (Departments of Soil Science and Agricultural Engineering).
The SWRI conducts research in the following research areas:
- Rational management and treatment of soil and water resources
- Development of anti-pollution methods for the protection of soil and water resources
- Mechanization of crops
- Intelligent agriculture
- Agricultural and urban waste management Research at the Institute is supported by modern technological tools such as geographic information systems (GIS), remote sensing, mathematical models, artificial intelligence (AI) and communication systems between computers and sensors for observing environmental field parameters.
SWRI has specific research and service structures. In particular:
The research unit in Thermi (headquarters) is ISO 9001:2015 certified for "Conducting laboratory analyses of soil, leaf and water, implementation of research projects and management of related software". There are five (5), independently housed laboratories operating in Thermi:
- Soil and leaf analysis
- Physiology and nutrition
- Soil physics
- Soil microbiology
- Waste management and bioprocesses
- The Sindos research unit has an "Accredited Laboratory for soil-water-plant tissue physicochemical analyses according to ELOT EN ISO/IEC 17025"
- The research unit of Lykovrisi Athens has an "Accredited Laboratory for Chemical Analysis according to ELOT EN ISO/IEC 17025"
- The research unit of Ag. Anargyroi, Attica has an "Accredited Laboratory of Spraying Machinery according to the international standard EN ISO 16119"